Watermelon delivered…under unusual circumstances!!!

I am sure you have been wondering where or why I haven’t written on my blog as of late.  Well, the “watermelon” in my stomach got bigger after my last blog and I called my doctor’s office on Monday a.m. 8/2.  They told me to go to the ER Room for assessment as that was the fastest way to have tests run etc.

So off we went to the ER that Monday morning.  I was in extreme pain and had no idea what was going on…. I was admitted to the hospital late that afternoon and was finally released this past Sunday, August 8th to go home and receive Home Nursing care for two weeks.

I’ll save you all the details…but  will share a few reflections with you I experienced this past week.  But first let me say once again, “Thank God for his healing touch and listening to the many prayers of those around the world for me.”   I literally was so sick, I thought I was going to die and go to heaven…. not a bad thing…but sad as I didn’t want to leave my family yet.  I was so sick…I couldn’t talk much on the phone or even think straight. 

The doctors were uncertain what was causing the pain and bloating, fever and high white blood count that reached 23800…but they definitely knew there was an infection somewhere.  So they started treating me with antibiotics and changed them depending on whether they were helping or not.

After CT Scans, Ultra Sounds and who knows what…. by Wednesday the fluid in my abdominal cavity had formed an abscess–three of them.  These were caused by the removal of my lymph nodes which were still producing fluid.  They implanted a drain to help remove the fluid, (which is still in today).  They thought the fluid would look infected…but it was as clear as could be…no infection.  The doctors were not sure if it had been infected and antibiotics had already cleared it up or perhaps there was another source of infection.

Because of this unknown, they did not allow me to eat from Monday through Saturday noon in case they had to take me back into surgery.  They patiently waited to see what each day would bring. 

My turning point was on Thursday when they placed the drain in the abscess…. I started to feel better immediately and even went off the pain pump I had been squeezing non-stop all week.  My husband had been praying for me every day and on Thursday God told him I was going to be ok.  Also, my daughter Mary had the same assurance from God that I was going to get better……  Our priest had also prayed over me “The Anointing of the Sick”…so I was covered!    Isn’t it great how God often confirms something he is doing….. Thank you God!! 

On Friday the Doctors came in my room with a smile and said, “I’ve never seen a turn around so quickly before in any patient.”  We just can’t figure it out.”  In my mind I thought….”Ah yes,  I know the Great Physician who can move mountains.”

The doctors determined I didn’t need surgery and allowed me to eat my first soft meal on Sat. noon.  OK… I never was really hungry…but I must tell you that my body craved good food…. apples, strawberries, watermelon…even water ( I wasn’t allowed to swallow water all week).  Amazing how our bodies know we need good foods. 

Have you ever had your tongue stone dry…..it is a scary thing.  In the middle of the week my tongue was totally dry…like sandpaper… my gums around my teeth were soft and tender….I felt like I was rotting from the inside out.  (OK too much info…sorry)!  Probably from all the meds I was being given.    I was even hallucinating at times at night…. seeing bugs or things that weren’t really there…..scary.

The staff at UW Hospital were amazing… I was in the right place for my condition.  Other departments were called in on my case…Internal Medicine, Radiology, Infectious Disease …..all came around for a look to advise my doctor.  I was the mystery woman.  There was some thought that perhaps I had  picked up some kind of bacteria in the hospital during surgery…but that still has yet to be solved, in fact, the cause may never be discovered.  But they tested everything under the sun…and nothing would grow in the petri dish.

Since I was feeling better… I  wanted to go home.  I had a normal white cell count and no fever… so they considered sending me home on Sunday.  Sunday came and they said my trip home might  be delayed a day as my white cell count went from 9000 to 12000, but thank God, they let me go home….and here I am today taking if very easy.

Home Nursing care comes in every day to check my vitals and dispense the antibiotic in my pic line…and today I am going to learn how to do that on my own—-(a little nervous about doing this).  They want me to take this antibiotic for two weeks and then they will reevaluate.  My prayer request if that I will be totally off the IV in two weeks.

I still have a lot of fluid build up in my body from all the IV’s etc.   I gained around 15-16# of fluid….My legs are very swollen but the doctor said that would change with time. 

So one day at a time….no lifting….a lot of resting….a lot of movie reruns!  I am still having trouble concentrating when reading…but hopefully the fog will lift soon so I can read.  R&R for the  next 4-5 weeks….I can be still that long???

There were so many thoughts that passed through my mind as I lay in the hospital.  The saying “you don’t know what you have until you don’t have it” is so true.  I must say I had taken for granted many wonderful things in my life and I have taken an inventory.   I wouldn’t wish this life experience on my best friend…but I’ve found an invaluable life lesson because of it.  Everything we have is a gift from God…never to be taken for granted.  Pathology reports show I am cancer free.   For me this time… I got a pass…but even if I had not been given a Cancer Free pass…. or been healed of the infection, God still reigns…..and I praise him for all things.  My hope lies in Him alone forevermore.

For that watermelon that was growing in my body….well, it is gone now…and to think I still love to eat watermelon!!!  A miracle!! 

I will write more reflections as I find focus and hope this will help you to always be encouraged, no matter what you are going through…. God loves you and cares about everything going on in your life.  Why not talk to Him…he is a good listener!!   Blessings, Auntie M

PS… Thank you for all the wonderful cards, flowers, and phone calls as well as all the wonderful food and help around our home during this time.  We are so blessed to have such wonderful family and friends…